Charles J. Uliano, Esq.
268 Norwood Avenue
P.O. Box 38
West Long Branch, NJ 07764
Charles J. Uliano joined the Law Firm of Chamlin Uliano & Walsh in 1979.
As senior partner, his practice is focused mainly on civil and criminal litigation.
Mr. Uliano received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from LaSalle University in 1970 and received his Juris Doctor Degree from Seton Hall University in 1974.
Before joining the Firm, Mr. Uliano’s served as Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Thomas L. Yaccarino, 1973-1974 and as an Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor, from 1976-1979.
Mr. Uliano has earned certification by the New Jersey Supreme Court in 1986 and has maintained that certification as both a Civil and Criminal Trial Attorney. Out of over 75,000 active lawyers in New Jersey, only a small percentage has earned this elite professional credential. Further, Mr. Uliano is one of only 24 attorneys* who holds dual Certifications in both Civil and Criminal Law.
Mr. Uliano has extensive trial experience in both the State and Federal Courts. His trial experience includes representation of a variety of personal injury Plaintiffs, as well as numerous police officers, municipalities and municipal employees in defense of violations of Civil Rights Claims. As Plaintiff’s counsel, Mr. Uliano has obtained numerous verdicts and settlements in excess of a million dollars.
In Mr. Uliano’s Criminal practice his zealous and tireless efforts on behalf of his clients make him extremely successful in protecting their interests to the fullest extent of the law.
Mr. Uliano is an “approved attorney” for the Monmouth County Joint Insurance Fund, the Police Legal Defense Fund, both the New Jersey State Police and Fraternal Order of Police (F.O.P.), and the New Jersey Educational Association (N.J.E.A.). As an approved attorney for these associations, he has the opportunity to represent police officers and teachers in disciplinary matters before their local employers and the Office of Administrative Law.
Mr. Uliano has received the highest rating from Martindale-Hubbell, which is bestowed by and awarded to attorneys through a Peer Rating system. He has received the honor of being included in the Super Lawyers list published by Thomson Reuters from 2007-present.
Mr. Uliano is a member of the American Bar Association, New Jersey State Bar Association, Monmouth Bar Association, New Jersey Association for Justice and Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey. Mr. Uliano is actively involved in the local and state Bar Associations and has served as a Trustee of the New Jersey State Bar Association and has held every leadership office of the Monmouth Bar Association, including President in 1999-2000. Mr. Uliano served as the New Jersey State Bar Nominating Committee Chairman from 2006-2007 and as Chairman of the New Jersey State Bar Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointment Committee in 2010-2011.
In 2009, he was awarded Professional Lawyer of the Year Award by the New Jersey Bar Association’s Commission on Professionalism in the Law. Further accolades include the Abraham J. Zager Award for Professionalism in 2002 from the Monmouth Bar Association and the Haydn Proctor Inns of Court, Justice Daniel J. O’Hearn Award for Professionalism in 2015. In addition, Mr. Uliano was awarded the James J. McLaughlin Award for civility, legal competence and professionalism from the State Bar Association Civil Trial Section in 2020. Recently, he was honored with the 2022 Trial Bar Award presented by the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey.
Mr. Uliano has two grown children who have followed in their father’s footsteps and now practice at the Law Firm. Mr. Uliano spends his free time watching sports and enjoying spending time with his eight grandchildren.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Defense
- Professional Negligence
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Certified Criminal Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey
- New Jersey, 1974
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1974
Seton Hall University School of Law Newark, New Jersey
- J.D. – 1974
- B.A. – 1970
- Honors: Phi Kappa Tau
- Honors: Court Chief Justice Member
- Honors: Student Judiciary Committee
- Honors: Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges 1970 President
- Lavelle vs. Allied Signal Corporation (1992)
- Instructor, Police Civil Liability, Monmouth County Police Academy
- Instructor, Police Civil Liability, Ocean County Police Academy
Honors and Awards
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- Super Lawyers Recognition, 2007 – 2023
- New Jersey State Bar Association, 2009 Professional Lawyer of the Year Award from the Commission on Professionalism in the Law
- Monmouth Bar Association, Abraham J. Zager Award for Professionalism, 2002
- Haydn Proctor Inns of Court, Justice Daniel J. O’Hearn Award for Professionalism, 2015
- State Bar Association Civil Trial Section, James J. McLaughlin Award for civility, legal competence and professionalism, 2020
- Trial Attorneys of New Jersey, 2022 Trial Bar Award recipient
Professional Associations & Memberships
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member, 1974 – present
- Monmouth County Trustee Representative, 2001 – 2007
- Nominating Committee, Chairman, 2006 – 2007
- Judicial & Prosecutorial Appointment Committee, Member 2007 – present
- New Jersey State Bar, Supreme Court Committee on Arbitration, Member
- Monmouth County Bar Association
- Member, 1974 – present
- President, 1999 – 2000
- Criminal Practice & Judicial Selection Committee, Past Chair
- American Association for Justice, Member, 1979 – present
- New Jersey Police Defense Association, Member, 2000 – present
- Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys of New Jersey, Member 1995 – present
Past Employment Positions
- Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office, Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor
- City of Asbury Park, Municipal Prosecutor
- City of Long Branch, City Attorney
- Township of Neptune, Township Attorney